Monday, October 11, 2010

Cake, cake, cake!

I'm back! And hopefully with regularly-occurring posts, too!

Last weekend I made my yearly trek to the Tulsa State Fair. My favorite part of the fair is always the Sugar Arts Show, which displays amazing (and frequently bizarre) feats of cake-decorating and fondant- and marzipan-sculpting. Here's a few of my favorites:

Magic Schoolbus cake! I'm newly obsessed with Mz. Frizzle and am sort of considering a Mz. Frizzle Halloween costume this year.


Halloween cake! Owls! Pumpkins!

Amazing Dia de los Muertos cake with sugar skulls

A gnome. Made of cake.

Kitty Gaga. Doesn't really require any more explanation. (my only question: shouldn't she be wearing a dress made of raw fish?)


4 comments:

Amanda said...

Dear K,

Does 'Kitty Gaga' count as a cake if it is actually made entirely of fondant? I am defining 'cake' as 'a thing that tastes great' and I am defining 'fondant' as 'actually not very tasty'. Thoughts?

Love,
A

Kathryn said...

Amanda, I think any professionally decorated cake can only loosely be defined as "cake." In my mind, a cake should be sort of messy and falling apart with cream cheese frosting glopped haphazardly on top (i.e. delicious).

Heather said...

Can you tell me how you made this gnome? My daughter is requesting a gnome cake for her birthday and this is by far the best one I've found. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

hi did you get the name of the maker of the owl caek as they are wondering on cake wrecks who made it